Easter is fast approaching and if you’re planning an Easter feast, then what better way to cleanse the palette than with a perfectly zesty recipe from Lemon Compendium author Yasemen Kaner-White?
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Begin by mixing 220g sugar with the cornstarch.
- Next, stir in the zest, lemon juice and rose extract.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the egg yolks and then mix them into the sugar lemon mixture and combine well.
- Gradually stir in the boiling water.
- Keep at a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to boil the rose custard for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the rose custard into the baked pie shell and allow to cool.
- Beat egg whites until they begin to form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, whilst continuing to beat until stiff peaks are produced.
- Spread the egg whites over the top of cooled rose custard, covering evenly.
- Cook in the oven for 10–15 minutes until the meringue is golden brown. Once cool, serve and enjoy!