Keeping Fit While Self-isolating
Personal trainer to the stars, Ben Coleman, has five simple exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home – so you can keep working out even if Covid19 is keeping you behind closed doors!
No excuses for becoming not keeping active, just follow along with these simple workouts:
RESISTANCE BAND ROMANIAN DEADLIFT
- Begin with a very light band in a standing position with feet on the band. Hold onto the band with both hands. The lower your hand’s grip, the harder the movement. Ensure that your back is straight and stays that way for the duration of the exercise. Allow your arms to hang perpendicular to the floor, This will be your starting position.
- Initiate the movement by flexing your hips, slowly (2 seconds down) pushing your bum back as if there is a big button behind you that you’re going to push with your bottom.
- This should entail a horizontal movement of the hips, rather than a downward movement. The knees should only partially bend, and your weight should remain on your heels.
- You should end up in a tabletop position.
- Maintain a straight back throughout the exercise.
- When you feel a stretch in your hamstrings, pause, and then slowly (1.5-2 seconds up) return to the starting position by extending the hips.
- Squeeze the glutes and lock the knees at the top.
DUMBBELL PULL THROUGH
- From a push-up position with one dumbbell positioned to your side, reach with the opposite arm through to grab the weight.
- Pull the weight through and place it down onto the opposite side.
- Repeat on the other arm.
KNEE TAPS/TOE TAPS
3x 30 seconds
- From a standing position lift your knees up on the spot. As one knee lifts, tap with the opposite hand. Repeat on the other knee.
- Now lift higher and reach further to tap your foot. Repeat on the other side.
- Repeat for the allotted time.
- From a plank position push up using your arms to a high plank position (push up position)
- From there, jump your feet in towards your hands, stand up and jump.
- Land soft by bending the knees.
- Come back down to the floor and repeat.
OPPOSITE ARM/LEG V SIT
- Lay on your back with legs straight and arms out by your side (in a T like position)
- Raise one arm and the opposite leg to meet in the middle. Here you will feel the abs contract.
- Control arm and leg back to the floor and repeat on the other side.
- From a seated position with your hands behind you on the floor to support your weight lift your legs off the floor.
- Keeping your legs straight and off the ground, perform a scissor-like movement with the legs.
- Repeat this for allotted time/reps