Book Now: Arrive as Strangers, Leave as Friends at Los Potreros Estancia – A ‘Must Visit’ Destination in Argentina
A 6,500 acre working cattle and horse estancia in the heart of Argentina, which has been in the family for generations. Set in a secluded location in the Sierras Chicas, Los Potreros is just an hours transfer from Cordoba International airport. The estancia is set in buildings steeped with not only family history but references to the Jesuists, and guests are welcomed to join as part of the family. Estancia Life is centered around riding, but they have plenty of other activities for non riders, including birdwatching, hiking, swimming, wine tastings and spending a night in the kitchen with the estancias chefs learning how to cook traditional argentine cuisine. With varied and plentiful landscapes and wildlife there is always plenty to do and see. Rooms are comfortable but simple and traditional, furnished with antiques – each room is individual and private, finished with top quality linens, wood-burning stoves and amenities.
Today the estancia is considered one of the ‘must visit’ destinations in Argentina. People come from all over the world for a genuine estancia experience, or for the ultimate riding holiday. No matter your ages and background, whether you’re a couple, a solo traveller, or a family, guests arrive as strangers to Estancia Los Potreros and usually leave as friends. They ensure their visitors enjoy the highest standards in personalised hospitality by hosting no more than 12 people at any one time. This means they all eat, drink, laugh and ride together in a warm and friendly environment – just the way the estancia has always been.
Every day at the estancia is different. The would-be gauchos amongst you can canter along grassy hilltops, take a dip in natural rock pools, visit local churches on horseback, help round-up the young horses (to protect them from the elusive puma), learn how to lasso, or have a go at polo. Out of the saddle, the cattle and horse trails make for wonderful walking, taking guests to awe-inspiring viewpoints and hidden waterfalls whilst experiencing the plentiful birdlife and colourful wildflowers, or watching the gauchos at work. Enjoy the best of Argentine food and wine with home-reared beef washed down with Malbec. The serenity and landscape lend themselves to those who enjoy painting, photography or writing, or simply curling up with a book, whilst good conversation and a gin and tonic are never far away.
Mealtimes are one of the highlights at estancia. They are always sociable affairs. Lunches and dinners are taken together at a ‘family’ table and hosted by one, or both owners (Kevin and Louisa) and dishes are European in style, varied and delicious, with plenty of excursions into local favourites. You’ll get to experience the traditional Argentine ‘asado’ or barbeque, plus freshly baked bread and homemade dishes, all supplemented by the estancia’s home-reared beef and organically grown vegetables, fruit and free-range eggs. We also can’t wait for you to try Estancia Los Potreros’s ‘own label’ wines, which often accompany some great conversations, well into the night.
The estancia recognises its responsibility to the environment and they were one if the first in South America to receive the Green Leader Platinum Level award by TripAdvisor. Whether your passion is horseback riding, bird-watching, exploring scenic walking trails or simply relaxing amongst local tradition and culture, The Sybarite and Estancia Los Potreros are proud to offer you a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. Come and fall in love with Argentina as you eat, drink and breathe it alongside us. Estancia has been recommended as one of the top guest experiences in Argentina by the BBC, the Sunday Times, National Geographic Traveller, Tatler and Footprint guides, to name but a few
- Each cosy room is individual and tastefully furnished in keeping with the history and style of the estancia, and quality antiques and bookcases invoke the grandeur of days gone by.
- risp winter nights are warmed by wood-burning stoves and open log fires, while the adobe construction keeps the rooms delightfully cool in the summer. The beds and linen are of the highest quality, and we offer plenty of little touches that make sure our guests are more than comfortable.
- Lunches and dinners are taken together at a ‘family’ table and dishes are European in style, varied and delicious, with plenty of excursions into local favourites.
- Sure-footed and tough criollos. Energetic and smooth gaited Peruvian Paso horses. Strong and even-tempered quarter horses. Agile and fast polo ponies. The herd of over 130 horses provides something for everyone, and for riders of all abilities.
- The estancia is one of the few places in the world where guests can ride the extraordinary Peruvian Paso horse, or the ‘dancing horse’ of Peru.
- The annual branding, in preparation for the sales or ‘yerra,’ is the absolute highlight of the year for the gauchos, and for us. This is when they have the opportunity to demonstrate their prowess with a lasso, over a long weekend of hard work and camaraderie, followed by the traditional ‘fiesta’. The yerra has long been an important event in the rural community. If you're here when it happens, consider yourself invited.
- Relax beside the pool and soak up stunning views and vistas. Drink a gin and tonic on the veranda and watch the world go by. Curl up in a hammock with one of the many books to be found around the estancia, (you might find a happy dog at your feet!) Or simply enjoy the art of conversation.
Share on Social