Book for 2021: Reconnect with the Richness of the Earth at the Magical Tswalu Private Reserve
Tswalu is a vast, magical land of infinite possibility, with sweeping vistas and a liberating sense of space. The green Kalahari is nature at its most diverse and surprising, and to spend time here is to be touched by exuberant, soulful beauty. Considered important for thousands of years, we’re now striving to conserve this breath-taking landscape for future generations.
Tswalu lets you reconnect with the richness of the earth. It offers an escape to a place that’s governed by the ancient rhythms of the seasons, rather than the clock and the calendar. It offers a vision of hope that brings together conservation, research and unrivalled safari experience.
brown hyena, and aardwolf. Other iconic species include the black-maned Kalahari lion, the desert black rhino, wild dog, oryx and cheetah. Throughout the year there are special sightings and transformations to the landscape influenced by seasonal
changes and the amount of rainfall. Spending time at one of the habituated meerkat colonies is often a highlight of any stay. Tswalu’s low-impact, high-value approach to ecotourism ensures that revenue flows directly back into conservation work.
Continuing the conservation work that is at the heart of this noble project has never been more important. Those who choose Tswalu contribute to the sustainability of our commitment to preserve the southern Kalahari’s biodiversity for future generations.
The private suites include a spacious bedroom with king-size or twin beds, a luxurious bathroom with a bath and outdoor shower, and comfortable seating and study areas. The suites embrace the natural outdoor experience with organic-shaped flowing outdoor decks off the bedrooms and the addition of natural Kalahari stone walls to add privacy and seclusion to each deck space. The sunny decks lead onto private terraces with day-beds which can be made up as evening star-beds for guests who would like to experience the thrill of sleeping under the vast Kalahari skies.
The Motse has been completely reimagined in 2019. It is a secluded ‘village’ of nine legae (dwellings), each with an open viewing deck and open fireplace. Tswalu’s overall purpose is to leave our world better that how we found it, and they do this through restoring the Kalahari landscape and bringing it back to its own natural beauty. Fittingly, the Motse is casually elegant with a focus on simplicity and comfort. It evokes a mood of peace, authenticity and intimacy and it delivers a new world of luxury and privacy.
Each legae is a calm haven. Beds are orientated to maximise the views and the bathrooms have been created with private gardens with outdoor showers which are open to the exceptional and vast night skies of the Kalahari.
- The main building includes an outdoor swimming pool, spa gym, photographic studio, a walk-in wine cellar stocked with South African wines, mezzanine National Geographic library and a Tswalu Foundation gallery
- The Tarkuni includes an expansive veranda with seating and dining areas, outdoor swimming pool, traditional boma lounge with fireplace, a dining room and cellar, library & games room and a spa therapy suite
- Every moment of every meal at Tswalu reflects the culinary heritage of South Africa and is carefully designed to be as inclusive as possible. Sustainability is key: they forage for Kalahari ingredients and work with local suppliers who share our low-impact ethos.
- Tsawlu's African itineraries perfectly demonstrate the ease with which they combines a safari itinerary to create the ideal Southern African experience.
- No two Tswalu experiences are the same. That’s because the way you see and touch this magical place will be shaped by your particular interests and will happen at your own pace.
- Tswalu’s team of experienced field guides and trackers all took different routes to reach the Kalahari. Despite that, they are united in their passion for conserving Tswalu and their eagerness to unravel its mysteries and share them with you.
Share on Social